Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Ready for black and female!

Question: Do you think America is ready for a black President? How about a female President? Jean Montgomery, Alburquerque, New Mexico.
Answer: First of all, Jean, I think it is way too early to even be discussing American Presidential politics for the 2008 campaign. I like to wait until after the conventions. To respond to your question, yes, I think most Americans would accept either a black person or a female as President. Personally, I think our current Secretary of State, Condi Rice, would make an excellent President. She is both black and female. I would vote for her. I do not think that someone should vote for a person primarily because that person is black or female. I do not think someone should vote against a person primarily because that person is black or female. While I would vote for Secretary Rice, who is black, I would not vote for the Senator from Illinois, who is black. While I would vote for Secretary Rice, who is female, I would not vote for the Senator from New York, who is female. Neither of those two people have the intelligence, the character or the experience I would prefer to see in a President. Secretary Rice has all three. That is why I would vote for her, not because she is female and black.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know what, Dr. Andrews? I am convinced that you give absolutely perfect answers. Your response to this question is perfect! Thank you for expressing it as you did.
Tom Sumpter, Destin, Florida

5:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree completely with this answer. I too would vote for Rice but not the two senators. However, from what I understand (this is now late May), Rice has determined that she will not run for President. This answer is full of common sense. Thank you!

8:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home