Monday, September 11, 2006

The War on Terrorists

Question: Hi Scot. I have read all your answers and have found them all to be excellent responses. It got me to thinking. Why couldn't you or some group of geniuses like you come up with a solution to the problem with the terrorists? Can you think of a way to deal with the terrorists? Jared K., Boston, Mass.
Answer: Thanks, Jared, for the kind comments and an excellent question. I have thought of a plan that I think would be successful in stopping terrorist activities. I cannot be certain it would work because of the nature of the people involved. We are not dealing with sane and rational people. Consequently, it is difficult to determine how they will respond to different strategies. I do not think that I should publicly reveal such a plan. It is not likely that President Bush will be calling me; but still, I do not feel comfortable revealing such a plan to which anyone could have access.
However, Jared, let's look at this "problem," as you call it. It is actually much more than a problem. While several nations in Europe (France, Spain, Italy and others), the American democratic political party and the American mass media refuse to acknowledge it, the terrorists have declared war on America. And, in reality, we are at war with terrorist groups around the world. President Bush said we need to hunt them (terrorists) down and kill them. To date, I have not heard anyone offer a better solution. (Although, as previously mentioned, I think I have one.) And this is from someone who is a vegetarian primarily because I am opposed to killing anything (except mosquitoes, ticks and fleas - God's mistakes). Now while I choose to eat vegetables, I have friends and relatives who consistently eat hamburgers in front of me. That is fine. I would never infringe upon their right to do so. As long as sportsmen obey hunting laws and hunt only where they have permission to hunt, I have no problem with them. That is their right as it is my right to choose not to kill any animals. But we are not dealing with people who practice democracy. These terrorists have said they want to kill us and our way of life. History clearly demonstrates that you cannot successfully compromise with such people. How can good compromise with evil? How can America compromise with people whose goal is the destruction of America?
Simply because the American democratic political party refuses to acknowledge that we are at war with a very real, though unorthodox and irrational, enemy does not lessen the reality of our situation. We are at war - and, most likely, will remain at war for many years to come. Perhaps someone in the higher ranks of our military or government will think of my plan and use it. Perhaps it will work. But it may not. It involves getting Muslim nations like Saudi Arabia, Egypt and others actively and directly involved as our allies in the war on terror. But they would not like the involvement I have in mind. The entire plan requires America to go more on the offensive and play a less reactionary role.
This is the fifth anniversary of the terrorists' attacks of September 11, 2001. It should always remind us of the terrible destruction that our enemies are capable of performing and of the deaths they hope to replicate. It is obvious that the terrorists are constantly planning additional attacks on America. Enough said.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I absolutely love the way you take difficult subjects and make them easy to understand.

6:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man, I wish you would get a call from President Bush. I like your response to this question and think that you have put things into a good perspective. The war against terrorists is certainly real and will probably last a long long time.

6:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home